History of Toft Cricket Club
Toft Cricket Club was founded in 1928, initially located on Toft Road (A50) adjacent to the old Toft School room. In 1938 the tenant farmer gave the Club notice to quit and Toft was kindly rescued by the Cowburn family of Norbury Booths Hall who provided the ground and built a wooden pavilion, most of which still remains in use today. It was extended over the years with the addition of new changing rooms, toilets and kitchen facilities in the nineties.
Toft CC is a member of the Cheshire County Cricket League ECB Premier Division which is the highest level in Cheshire. Previously, Toft were founding members of the Cheshire Cricket League in 1974, and were then elected into the Cheshire County Cricket League in 1981. Toft 1st XI have played in three national finals:
- 1978 – National Village KO Final played at Lords – Runners up.
- 1989 – National Village KO Final played at Lords – Champions
- 2019 – ECB National Club T20 Final played at Derbyshire CCC – Runners
Junior cricket at Toft has grown significantly over the years from the early beginnings in 1965 shown above. Currently competitive junior cricket plus coaching happens for over 160 children from age 5 upwards and a large majority of our Senior players emerge from this junior development. This extensive activity list on the cricket field is facilitated by fantastic support from junior parents some of whom who qualify as coaches themselves. Toft also has links the local schools and other groups keen to experience cricket and who also use the facilities at Toft to help develop their own activities outside of cricket.
The age range of playing members of the Club is from 5 to over 90. Senior players, committee members and ground staff maintain the pitch and grounds to testing County League Standards. Minor Counties cricket is also played at Toft and also County Cricket at the over 50’s and over 60’s levels. Women’s cricket is also becoming increasingly popular and Toft now has a strong women’s playing membership.
Formed in 1967 Toft Taverners XI play sponsored matches raising money to finance the annual Knutsford over 70’s coach trip to Lytham St Anne’s taking in lunch, a stroll along the prom, tea, and a raffle. Other organisations also benefit from Taverners donations include the Scouts, Knutsford May Day and fitness classes at Royce Court. These matches against local companies and other sporting groups gets the wider community involved too in raising the annual cost of £8,000. Over 50 years Toft Taverners have raised in excess of £250k that has been used to benefit the Knutsford community.
Club Honours in the Cheshire County Cricket League
- 1st XI League Champions 1991
- Cheshire Cup Winners 1991, 1993
- Cheshire Cup Runners up 2003
- Boddington Trophy Winners 1990
- Henderson Rose Bowl Winners 1990
- Aggregate Champions 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2014
- Most Improved Club of the Year 2014
- CCCL Six-A-SideTrophy Winners 1991(J)
- CCCL T20 Champions 2019
- 2nd XI League Champions 1991, 1993, 1996(B), 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017
- 2nd XI Cup Winners 1986, 1996, 2001, 2003, 2012, 2014
- 3rd XI League Champions 1995 (Sun B), 2003 (Div 2) 2017, 2018 (C/Div 1)
- Over 40’s Champions 1984(J), 2005, 2010, 2014
- Under 18’s Champions 1997, 2007, 2008, 2014
- Under 13’s Champions 1996
- Under 13’s Plate Winners 2003, 2004, 2005, 2016, 2017
- Under 13’s Shield Winners 2008
TOFT CC ACTIVITIES
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 3A X1’s Playing in the ECB Premier League
- Over 40’s X1 Central Group League
- Toft Taverners X1 who raise funds to support local charities
- Women’s Cricket
- 4th X1 Social friendly cricket to accommodate less regular players
- Junior Teams comprising Under 9’s, Under 11’s, Under 23’s, Under 15’s, under 18’s and under 19’s
- Junior Coaching – Allstars 5-7 year olds plus the coaching of 7 to 15 year olds